DURATION: 60 Minutes (Overview) or 4 Hours (Comprehensive)
DESCRIPTION: Flash game developers will engage users with a departure from hackneyed gameplay mechanics. Users are attracted to unique experience they can’t find elsewhere. Physics-based gaming can give your game development repertoire a huge boost, enabling sandbox-style game mechanics and emergent gameplay.
AGENDA: We will see the types of physics games you can create with Adobe Flash technology and examine the ROI of adding physics to your existing games as well as creating all new physics-based game experiences. After an overview of the Physics libraries available, we will review the basics and go in depth with two examples; a quick demo, and a complete game. Attendees may experiment and republish the project (source provided) via Adobe Flash CS5 Professional or Adobe Flash Builder 4.
While the examples shown will be specific to Adobe Flash CS5 for deployment to the browser, this session is equally relevant for application developers of other technologies including Adobe Flex 4 for the browser and Adobe AIR desktop deployment.
AUDIENCE: Intermediate to advanced Adobe Flash CS4 and Adobe Flex 4 developers with equivalent ActionScript 3.0 knowledge.
LAPTOP REQUIRED: Optional
TAKE-AWAY: Attendees will have another tool in their belt for creating great physics game projects. All source code and documentation will be available to attendees.
- Section 1: Background of and Benefits of Physics-based Games
- Section 2: Background of and Benefits of the Box2D Library (via AS3Box2D & QuickBox2D)
- Section 3: Box2D Applied
- Creating a New Box2D Physics Project from Scratch
- Creating a New Box2D Physics Project via the Box2D Physics Template Project
- In Depth Tips and Tricks for Physics Games
- Not yet confirmed for any event.
- Leave a comment to request I speak at your event.