As a Flash Game Development professional, I’m incredibly excited to see major growth in the industry. While developers have employed the Flash Player for over 10 years, the past 2-3 years and in particular 2010 have brought major strides.
There are a dozen major, polished, quality, (non-pirating), Flash gaming sites and dozens of major venues for your Flash games. There has never been more work for Flash game developers.
Great Support For Games
- Great 1st Party Support: Robust ActionScript 3.0 language, powerful Flash 10.1 Player, and AIR runtime for Desktop as well as mobile. Go Adobe! We can even compile C++ to Flash via Alchemy and write our own 2D pixel-level effects (and multi-threading of game logic) with Pixel Bender.
- Great 3rd Party Tools, Engines and Frameworks such as Flixel, FlashPunk, PushButton Game Engine (fantastic!), easily edit physics based levels with Bison Kick, and Box2d Flash Alchemy Port + World Construction Kit – and 3rd Party 3D Rendering (still waiting for native 3D support in Flash Player) Papervision 3D, Away 3D, and Sandy 3D. Even More 3rd Party goodness…
Adobe’s EDGE Magazine has supported Gaming with a game series I’ve authored this year. 4 of the 5 articles have launched so far.
Flash Game Articles
- An introduction to developing games on the Adobe Flash Platform
- Deconstructing the zOMG MMO game from Gaia Online
- Developing physics-based games with Adobe Flash Professional
- Developing Flash Platform games with PushButton Engine
- Making Money With Flash Game Development (Release TBD)